The Unexpected Benefits of Volunteering
Giving your time actually makes you feel time-rich. Cassie Mogilner, a professor at Wharton wrote in the Harvard Business Review that – based on her experiments and research – those who give away their time serving others say they feel less time-constrained than those who don’t.
Her studies discovered that, rather than the social connection or enjoyment connected with volunteering, the people who give their time away feel more capable, confident and useful. They feel more accomplished, and that’s why they feel like they have more time to accomplish things in the future.
Mercer Island Thrift Shop is a fun, fast paced, retail environment of community volunteers. A sampling of the benefits we offer include:
- Progressive volunteer discounts for the number of hours you work.
- A great place to make interesting new friends, learn new things and stay active within your community.
- Volunteer recognition events, social activities and food to keep life fun.
- Support your community social services which serve across a lifespan.
Cashiers - 3 hour shifts
We are currently recruiting friendly volunteers to become part of our cashier team. We offer:
- A detailed cashier training handbook and readiness quiz to help you get started.
- Hands on training on our modern point of sale system. We even take Apple Pay.
- You’ll work with a training buddy during your first shifts to make sure you’re feeling confident.
- Volunteers are invited to manage their own schedule with our online system.
- We provide useful feedback to support job training and development.
- References for jobs and a personalized letters of recommendation.
Available Shifts: Monday through Saturday:
9:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
1:00 p.m to 4:15 p.m.
5:00 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.
Sundays 11:45 -3:15 p.m. and 1:45 to 5:15 p.m.
Jewelry Sorting Testing and Grading
The Mercer Island Thrift Shop is looking for volunteers to fill two skill levels in our jewelry department.
Level 1: Jewelry Assistant
Sort and untangle jewelry, organize, attach string tags to bracelets and necklaces and attach earrings to display cards. Attention to detail, fine motor skills, teamwork and good communication are required.
Level 2: Jewelry Lead
Test, grade, price and display donated jewelry. A knowledge of gemstones, precious metals and the ability to identify designer work is desired. Good communication, transparency, accountability and teamwork skills are needed for the success of the mission. Volunteer schedules are flexible.
Sales Floor & Greeting
What would our mission be without loyal customers, right? Each team member contributes to the Mercer Island Thrift Shop’s success by providing excellent customer service to thrift shop patrons and donors...
When you become a sorter of the plethora of publications at MITS, you'll find a book you've always wanted to read and three more that you didn't know you wanted to read. “His hands were weak and shaking from carrying far too many books from the bookshop. It was the best feeling.” Joseph Gordon-Levitt The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories.